Admiralty Garden in St. Petersburg - one of the best parks in the city
Admiralteysky garden - interesting placeSt. Petersburg, which causes a lot of confusion in the tourist plans of visitors. To begin with, it is not on the newest maps of the city. Now the garden is called Alexandrovsky, and besides it, in St. Petersburg there is another park with the same exact name. So how do you make it clear?
Aleksandrovsky Park is located on the Petrogradskayaside. And our garden is located in the heart of the city and goes to the Senate and Palace Square. And what else do we need to know about this landmark? It is possible without exaggeration to say that the Alexander Garden (formerly Admiralty) is the visiting card of St. Petersburg. Or his beautiful and well-groomed face.
History of the Admiralty
Before taking a modern look, the garden (or rather,the place where he was beaten) performed various useful functions. Who would have thought that these ancient trees grow on military ditches and trenches! The name for the future garden was given by the Main Admiralty in St. Petersburg. The first stone in this fortress-shipyard was laid in 1704. As it was supposed to the fortification, it was surrounded by ditches and ramparts. And the vast space in front of the Admiralty was cleared for artillery in case of enemy attack from land. This site was called in the military language "glacis".
Soon the Admiralty lost itsdefense value. Therefore, the need for a glacis fell away. For a long time it was used as a platform for storing large-sized goods - masts, anchors, etc. At the beginning of the eighteenth century, the glacis was used for the needs of the Marine Market.
But gradually the glacis became more and more neglected. It is overgrown with grass and has received in the people the name "Admiralty meadow". But the building of the fortress played too much role in the planning of the city. In the year 1717, Peter the Great laid the basic plan for St. Petersburg.
According to the tsar's plan, the city had to pass throughthree avenues, diverging rays from the Admiralty: Voznesensky, Nevsky and Gorokhovaya street. Therefore, the former glacis should have been somehow refined. The Admiralty Garden in St. Petersburg was founded by captured Swedes. They planted the first birch trees, laying a beautiful avenue to Nevsky Prospekt. During the reign of Anna Ioannovna, the Admiralty meadow was used for folk festivities, which were held at public expense, for drill guardsmen, for grazing cattle from court cribs. But already in the middle of the eighteenth century the meadow gradually began to turn into a park. There were trellis fences, palisades, avenues, benches. In the last decade of the century, a huge area of the former glacis began to be paved until it became a complex of squares - the Admiralty, Petrovskaya and Isaakievskaya squares.
The Alexander Garden (St. Petersburg)
In the first half of the nineteenth centurycontinued improvement of the meadow. It is noteworthy that this territory was open to the general public. But along the perimeter the meadow was surrounded by a fence, and at the entrance near the turnstiles there were guardsmen. In the garden, French tenants Marcel and François Villot opened a tea and coffee house. The meadow gradually sat down with trees, lilac bushes. From Tsarskoe Selo flowers were brought and planted on flowerbeds.
From the thirties to the future Admiralteysky gardenTwo marble sculptures were transferred from the Tauride Palace. But all these works did not have a single plan. Finally, in 1872, the bicentenary of Peter the Great, the city duma decided to take up professionally. For the breakdown of the garden was invited botanist and master of park art E. Regel. A year later on July 8th, Alexander II arrived in the place, who personally planted the oak. Then it was decided to call the new garden an imperial name.
Description of the park
This place has a huge area - ninehectares. It is pleasant to walk in the shadow of ancient trees. From the garden you can easily see the sights of St. Petersburg - St. Isaac's Cathedral, the monument to Peter the Great, the Admiralty building. Even before the revolution, a fountain was broken here. The Admiralty Garden was decorated with numerous sculptures - busts of famous Russian figures. On the perimeter of the park was a metal lattice, along which a granite parapet was laid. There was no shortage of gardens and beautiful pavilions with verandas. In the summer, the hearing of the walkers rejoiced the brass band. In Soviet times, the park was named the Gorky Workers' Garden. It created a clearing for the passage of demonstrators and equipment for the parade.
In the eighty-ninth year of the last century the parkagain renamed the Admiralty Garden. And in 1997 it was decided to perpetuate the memory of the emperor. Therefore, the sights were returned to the former name. In the people he wears a joking name "Sashkin Garden." According to Petrograders, this is a great place to relax. It does not feel that you are in the heart of the metropolis. It's green, quiet, and there are wonderful views. Recently, festivals of seasonal flowers are held in the garden. And in winter, an ice slide is set up.