How to remove the rear shock absorber?
Watch the video
Motorists know that shock absorbers are used to reduce shocks and vibrations of the car body when driving, thereby ensuring the comfort of passengers. In addition, shock absorbers increase safety by promoting constant tire grip. Despite the fact that the front shock absorbers perform more functions and fail more often, knowledge of how to remove the rear shock absorber will also be useful during the operation of the car.
When to replace shock absorbers
Before you change the rear shock absorbers, make sure they are faulty. Replacement of the shock absorber is necessary in the following cases:
- oil flow;
- damage by corrosion of the supports of the springs or the piston rod of the shock absorbers;
- visible deformation of the shock absorber body.
How to remove the rear shock absorber
On some car models, you should first remove the upholstery in the attachment points of the shock absorber to the body.
- Then the rubber pads are removed from the shock absorbing glasses and the fastening nuts are turned off.
- Removing the rear shock absorber is carried out on a viewing pit, an overpass or when the rear axle is lifted by a jack. At the time of removal of the spring shock absorber should be compressed.
- To remove the shock absorber and sleeve, you need to unwind the bolts fastening the lower part of the shock absorber to the bridge or suspension arm.
- If the fasteners become stuck during the period of operation, they are handled with WD-40 liquid to facilitate removal.