Plum Memory of Timiryazev: features of cultivation
Large yields of sweet fruits allow plum to occupy an honorable place in Russian gardens. Scientists have brought different varieties of this culture, which are perfectly adapted to various climatic conditions. For example, the Memory of Timiryazev, which appeared more than half a century ago.
Description of the variety
The tree is a medium-sized tree, about 3 m. The crown is of medium thickening, round. The shoots are pubescent, the leaves are light green, slightly wrinkled, from the bottom with the edge, and from above without it.
Fruits are egg-shaped, yellow, on the side on the sunny side with red subcutaneous spots. Plums without edge, on the skin visible weak wax coating. Ventral suture is expressed implicitly. The flesh is yellow, fine-grained, dense, juiciness is not very high, as is the sugar content. The fragrance is weak. The small bone is well separated from the fetus.
Plums Memory of Timiryazev is not very juicy
Table: advantages and disadvantages of the variety
|High yield||Strongly subject to ticks|
|Self-fertility||There are lean seasons|
|Recovers well from stress||The fruits are not very juicy|
|High fruit transportability|
|Quality fruits||Average drought and frost resistance|
|Well resists kleasterspiosis and fruit rot|
|Suitable for production cultivation|
|Fruits ripen during storage|
The memory of Timiryazev is a universal variety, that is, it can immediately be eaten or used for processing.The average fruit weight is 22 g.
Memory of Timiryazev - a grade of universal appointment
Flowering plum in the middle-third decade of May, and ripens in late August or early September. The first crop appears after about 4 years of life. On average, the sink yields from 9 kg from a tree. Collect the fruits in dry weather, in the morning or in the evening, in wooden or plastic boxes. Plum will remain in the refrigerator for 2-4 weeks.
If the fruits have not yet ripened, then you can leave them for 2-3 days in a package or bowl, not removing in the cold.
Features of landing
The variety is regionalized in the Central and Middle Volga regions of Russia.Here, the optimal time for planting plums - mid-April. Then during the summer season the tree will get stronger and will transfer the winter without loss.
For other areas of the country it is necessary to focus on weather conditions. We need to choose a time when the earth has already thawed, but the sap flow has not yet begun.
For the plum of this variety it is necessary to choose a site with a light and fertile sandy loam or loam. The place should be well lit by sunlight, protected from the wind, with a groundwater level of about 2–3 m. The soil is prepared in the autumn period - it must be dug up, pulled out of weeds. Then they dig a hole 70 cm deep, 80 cm wide. The upper layer is laid separately, and then fertilizers are applied:
- 10–15 kg of rotted manure;
- 250 g of double superphosphate;
- 0.5 kg of ash;
- 100 g of potassium sulfate.
At the bottom of the pit you can put 300 g of ground egg shell (it will be a source of calcium), and pour a mixture of soil and fertilizer on top.
A step-by-step process
- In the pit, having slightly sunk from the center, a stake is set, which will support the tree (the peg should be on the north side of the seedling).
The peg will serve as a support for the still weak trunk.
- Pour into the hole 20-30 liters of water.
Before planting, the pits are watered with 20–30 l of water
- Wait until moisture is absorbed.
- Place the sapling, making sure that the roots lie flat, without creases.
- When the pit falls asleep, the ground must be compacted.
Landing should be compacted
- The root neck should be located 6 cm above the ground level.
The deepening of the cervix leads to the fact that the tree grows slowly, the bark in the lower part of the trunk heats, the plum begins to bear fruit late.
- Seedling is tied to a peg (the loop should be free).
- Around the trunk make the sides and again watered the hole 20-30 liters of water.
- The trunks should be covered with peat - this will help keep moisture in the soil for a long time.
Although the memory of Timiryazev is considered self-fertilizing, the planting of plum trees of varieties of Wengerka Moscow or Skorospelka red will increase the yield. The distance between cultures should be about 3 m.
The implementation of simple rules of care will preserve the health of the tree, which contributes to an increase in yield.
It is worth remembering that the Memory of Timiryazev variety is not very drought-resistant. Irrigation regime depends on soil moisture and precipitation. For one irrigation use 3-4 buckets of water.
The last water-charging irrigation is carried out in October, using 50-70 liters. Crude soil protects the roots from the cold.
Water is poured into a specially excavated furrow in the near-trunk circle
Feed seedlings start 2–3 years after planting.
- The first fertilizing should be done before the flowering plants: 30-40 grams of potassium sulfate and urea.
- During the ripening of fruits - 30 g of nitrophosphate and urea.
- After the end of fruiting - 30 g of superphosphate and potassium sulfate.
- In the fall or in early spring - organic top dressing (0.5–1 bucket of humus when digging the trunk circle).
Pruning of fruit trees is divided into the formative (formation and support of a beautiful ungrown crown) and sanitary (removal of dry, diseased, pest-induced branches). These important measures will increase yields, save the tree from diseases.
- When planting a branch of a young seedling shortened by 1/3.
- At the end of March and beginning of April, in the 2nd year of the tree’s life, the central conductor is cut at a height of 1.5 m from the ground. Also cut off all the branches that grow to a height of 50 cm from the ground, the rest - by 1/3.
- 3rd year: shorten the main conductor by 2/3. The branches of the 1st tier (the lowest one) should be 40 cm long, the second tier - 30 cm. The "floors" of the crown are located at a height of 30-40 cm from each other. Each of them consists of 6-8 branches. The shtamb before the first tier must again be cleared of shoots.
- In the following years, weak branches damaged by diseases and frost growing into the crown of the branch are removed (it is important not to overdo it, no more than 1/4 of the crown is removed for one pruning, otherwise the stress for the tree will be too strong).
- Pruning in emergency cases can also be carried out in the summer - for example, to remove diseased or pest-prone shoots.
- Root growth cut out without leaving hemp.
In the first year, gardeners recommend cutting 80% of the first flowers. Such a measure will contribute to the best survival of the tree.
Video: how to cut a plum
Preparing for the winter
The memory of Timiryazev does not tolerate frosts very well. Therefore, it is necessary to prepare thoroughly for winter. Thick branches and the trunk can be wrapped with a thick soft cloth, on top of this - nylon. So you will not only save the tree from frost, but also protect it from rodents. When the snow comes, you need to podgresti it to the trunk and make a snowdrift height of 30 cm.
Before sheltering a tree, do not forget to clear the soil from fallen leaves and fruits and mulch it, and also whiten the lower part of the trunk.
Whitewashing will protect the tree from rodents and sunburn
Video: nuances of plum care
Diseases and pests: table
Variety Memory of Timiryazev with difficulty confronts various mites.
|Diseases / pests||How do||Prevention||Control measures|
|Plum mite||The appearance of his say small growths of a reddish tinge on the bark. Mite also affects the leaves. The growths are multiplying, the affected shoots dry out.||
|Spider mite||Symptoms of spider mite infection are small red spots on the plant. The next sign is the appearance of a thin web on the leaves. The insect draws juice from the tissues, which causes them to dry.|
|Perforated spotting||Disease affecting all parts of the plant.Ulcers appear on the tree - dark spots with an even darker border. The affected tissue falls out, forming holes. Fruits are deformed, cease to develop.||
|Rust||On the leaf plate appear round bloated bright spots, which rapidly increase. Plants affected by rust lose their strength, leaves fall early.||
|Gray rot||Fruits become brown and soft, gray accumulations of mushroom spores are visible on the skin.||Before flowering and after it, spray the plum with copper chloroxide (40 g per 5 l of water) or 1% Bordeaux liquid.|